Day 1, Rhapsody - Live in Canada

I guess I've decided to make this into a daily blog. I told myself I would never write a bog because they are way to self-indulgent and "mememe!", but I would be ignoring the trends of my generation if I never tried it. So here we go.

I don't think they are always going to be super elaborate, but I just wanted to archive my thoughts on each album.

So today was my first day and it was perfect. A little background: For the past three months, I was spending my time in the subways reading The Lord Of The Rings. It was my first time through the trilogy and it has been, without question, the best reading experience of my life. Because I was so into it, I knew I needed to take a break from reading and try something new with my two hours in the tunnel of death. So here we are.

The first thing I put on was a suggestion from Mike Kaplin. It was Rhapsody's Live in Canada. In some far off galaxy, the moons must have been aligned to have this be my first pick. Rhapsody writes songs strictly about kings, elves, dwarfs, and the dark shadow. Too perfect.

And I loved it. I got through it three times today. Rhapsody defines epic metal. They have a gregorian chant style chorus, a full string section, and massively distorted guitars screaming over their fine-tuned 80's metal. It was hard hitting, unrelenting, operatic, and wonderfully cheesy.

Thanks Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment