Day 5, Antlers - Hospice

I apologize because I cannot give this a completely legit review right now. This is because Hospice has to be listened to with top notch speakers with absolutely no background noise. My 6 year old Boss headphones and NYC streets and subways made it impossible to capture it all because the sounds are either very subtle or very large. I think it’s a concept album about someone either working or regularly visiting sick people at a hospital (pregnancy, perhaps??). I wish I knew, but I am not sure I want to put the time in right away. Not because I am a lazy reviewer and the Celtics are playing a big game tonight, but because the album didn’t completely jump out at me, even after three listens.

It is funny that I used that description, because this album jumps in and out of lowest lows and highest highs. I found myself turning my headphones up and down constantly, which is actually kind of annoying and I think it is a legitimate criticism. But when you get struck by a crash of synthetic noise and fuzz after hiding in quite and dark places, it is staggering in a very cool way. It is a great effect, even if it means I have to toggle with the volume.

But through it all, this album lost me in its dreaminess—like that book you love but can’t finish because you’re asleep in 5 minutes. It seems to float along with only a handful of moments that pin it down with clear melody and structure. It toys with an array of sounds: acoustic guitar, male and female voice, repetitive screeching effects, feedback, mandolins, and keyboards, and drums are used sparingly.

All in all, this is very original music where every sound is artfully crafted and may enduce an aural orgasm, but I wouldn't ever casually pop it on. Maybe once I figure out for sure if it is about a nurse at a hospital, I will give it to my midwife girlfriend and it will be her new favorite album and I'll learn to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment