Day 28, The Devil Makes Three - Longjohns, Boots, and a belt

I apologize for the delay...

Stars: 2.5
Song: "Man Tap"
Live: $4

I could write a bland review for the Devil Makes Three - Longjohns, Boots and a Belt. I could say that their country twang has the right attitude. I could say that they have a nice blend of tradition and contemporary; that they are stripped down to two guitars and a bass, but add a certain flare that keeps them from sounding like they are simply covering the old stuff. I could say that they are good at upholding the tradition of songs about drinking, troubles, and lost loves, and are working to find their own voice. I could talk about how their chops are a bit sloppy and the rhythm flutters off at times. And I could say that it is clear that these guys grew up playing along to Led Zeppelin and Nirvana, but really put in a good effort to scale it back.

But my good friend Colin told me the other day to be a little edgier, and since I do not yet have an editor to take advice from, I’ll have to take his.

I appreciate their attempt to be down and dirty southerners, but I could make just as good music drunk off my ass on Smirnoff Ice—wouldn’t even need soul warming bourbon to get this type of engine running--with a couple buddies around a campfire. I can picture these dudes all dolled up in cowboy rags playing an Arizona State frat bar, half wishing they were in Austin playing to a bunch of old cowboys, but gladly taking every Jager-bomb handed to them.

But maybe that’s too harsh. They are not complete hacks. Longjohns, Boots, and a Belt maintains a solid set of songs, with only one or two completely floundering out. “Never Learn,” Sweeping,” and “Tow,” for example, are completely decent songs and lyrically, they draw inside the lines of country rock music…

…like they were obedient 2nd graders whose teacher is Bradley Nowell of Sublime and the day’s subject is Johnny Cash.

In truth, The Devil Makes Three seems like an attempt at recreating instead of playing what naturally comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment