day 36, Bill Withers - Still Bill

Stars: 4
Song: “Use Me,” but of the songs I didn’t know before “Another Day to Run”
Show: 38$

I was excited when I saw a Bill Withers studio album on my list because up until now I’ve only heard a couple live jams and a Best Of collection. Unfortunately, as it turns out, Still Bill practically is the Best Of. I knew six of the ten songs, which made for the first morning commute sing along I’ve had in a while. But following the rules of the blog, since I knew most of the songs I am not going to spend a full day on it or review it too carefully. I’ll just make it quick.

Bill Withers is, in my opinion, the 70’s soul/funk guy to listen to. I’ll vibe on him over Stevie or Curtis any day. Bill has a way of pocketing a groove, and still keep it edgy. This album showcases Mr. Withers’ ability to create a funky smooth, yet heavy groove, like nijas fighting underwater. Remember when recording was mostly live and we couldn’t putts around with computers to do touch ups? Well, you feel that on these tracks. They are raw, but the band is so tight, that little imperfections become like funky syncopations in texture and rhythm.

Still Bill is a sure bet to get your dirty funk-face in full effect. And it is true what Momma said; if you keep making that face it is going to get stuck like that, especially if you keep Billy Dubs in your stereo.

No comments:

Post a Comment